This assessment requires you to write a report assessing the basic environmental health principles, theories, and issues of an emerging or reemerging disease.
To begin, select one emerging or reemerging disease to research for this report. Note: The WHO Emerging Diseases and CDC Web sites (both linked in the Resources under the Internet Resources heading) list a variety of relevant diseases.
Then, craft a 3–4-page report that analyzes the disease and addresses the following points:
- Provide a brief historical account of the disease selected. Consider why this disease is emerging or reemerging.
- What areas of the globe are currently affected by this disease?
- How is it transmitted?
- What is the incubation period?
- What is the treatment for this disease?
- What is the role of vaccines in combatting this disease? If there is no vaccine, why not?
- What is the predicted prognosis of recovery and residual effect?
Your report should be logically organized around a point you would like to make regarding the emerging or reemerging disease you select. Consider the MEAL Plan to help organize your thoughts:
- Main Idea: What is the main point or idea that you want your reader to remember about this disease?
- Evidence: What does the research say? Support your point with evidence from the literature you have researched. (This is where you would include facts about the history, transmission, incubation, treatment, and prevention of the disease. Refer to your sources when you provide your evidence.)
- Assess: Summarize main ideas from articles related to the disease. Apply health principles and theories that relate directly or indirectly to your main point. Make explicit links between source articles and your current report.
- Link: Integrate and combine information from your source articles to your main point or idea.
Use the APA Paper Template (linked in the Resources under the Required Resources heading) to format your report.
- Written Communication:Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Length: This report should be 3–4 pages in content length. Include a separate title page and a separate references page.
- Font and Font Size: Times New Roman, 12-point, double-spaced. Use Microsoft Word.
- APA Formatting: Resources and in-text citations should be formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Number of Resources: You are required to cite a minimum of 2 scholarly resources. You may conduct independent research for resources and references to support your report. Provide a reference list and in-text citations for all of your resources, using APA format. You may cite texts and authors from the Resources.