Rough Draft Review Process Evaluation
Purpose: The primary goal of this weekly assignment is to enable you to understand the revision process and revise your paper with the help of a writing specialist.
Prepare: After you have completed a rough draft of your paper (at least five pages), submit that draft to the Ashford Writing Center. To do this, click on the Writing Center & Library link located in the left course navigation and from there, you will click on the tab marked Paper Review. To submit your paper, follow the instructions provided. Your paper will be returned within 24 hours, so give yourself enough time to complete and submit it prior to the due date. See image below that illustrates how you can access Paper Review through the Ashford Writing Center.
Reflect: Carefully review the revision letter and the margin comments that you see on your returned paper. Consider each of the suggestions provided to help you to revise your paper.
Write: In your written response of at least 400 words, complete the following:
- Identify the top three issues your writing specialist focused on in your rough draft (e.g., paragraph structure, proper use of quotations, and thesis statement).
- Were any of those issues surprising?
- Describe what you learned from some of the feedback your writing specialist provided as explanations.
- Was this feedback helpful?
- Evaluate the usefulness of the paper review tool.
- Did your understanding of academic writing improve?
- Will you use the Ashford Writing Center to review your work in the future? Why or why not?