Future of the Workplace
As we have learned, the nature of the workplace is changing rapidly. The rise in the use of robots and artificial intelligence has decimated the employment prospects for many employees in many industries. It has also changed the nature of the role of human resource professionals. With that as a background, compose a paper that addresses the following:
- Provide a general overview on the rise in the use of robots and artificial intelligence in the workplace. Present evidence that the use of robots and artificial intelligence is increasingly taking the employment opportunities to which humans have traditionally performed, including the level and scope of this trend.
- Assess how this trend has affected the promise and security of continued employment for some/many in the United States economy, including an assessment on how the nature and type of employment is changing for the typical US worker (e.g., more part-time employment or static wages).
- Present the criteria a human resource professional should review before determining whether a position should be filled by a robot or through artificial intelligence.
- Discuss how these trends will affect the role of human resources, including the typical human resource functions such as recruitment, compensation, labor relations, risk and liability management, and organizational effectiveness.
- Finally, discuss the role and duty a human resource professional has to ensure full employment for employees and, most importantly, the responsibility human resources should assume for those workers displaced by a world where robots and artificial intelligence are increasingly performing.
Your paper should be:
- Full 15 pages in length (not including title and reference pages).
- Formatted according to the APA format.
- Supported by 8-9 scholarly articles.
Annotated Bibliography On The Use Of Robots and Artificial Intelligence
Webster, C., & Ivanov, S. (2020). Robotics, artificial intelligence, and the evolving nature of work. In Digital Transformation in Business and Society (pp. 127-143). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
Osoba, O. A., & Welser, W. (2017). The risks of artificial intelligence to security and the future of work. RAND.
Brougham, D., & Haar, J. (2018). Smart technology, artificial intelligence, robotics, and algorithms (STARA): employees’ perceptions of our future workplace. Journal of Management & Organization, 24(2), 239-257.
Wright, S. A., & Schultz, A. E. (2018). The rising tide of artificial intelligence and business automation: Developing an ethical framework. Business Horizons, 61(6), 823-832.
McClure, P. K. (2018). “You’re fired,” says the robot: The rise of automation in the workplace, technophobes, and fears of unemployment. Social Science Computer Review, 36(2), 139-156.