This discussion addresses the following outcomes:
· Explain the German implementation of the Schlieffen Plan, the reasons for its failure, and its consequences for the war of maneuver on the Western Front in 1914 (CO #2).
· Examine the use of new technologies in the First Battle of the Marne and their effect on the outcome of the battle (CO#4). Image below:
Map of the First Battle of the Marne. Retrieved from: Encyclopedia Britannica ImageQuest.
As you read in the Neiberg text, the early months of World War I set into motion a war of maneuver as the Germans attempted to implement the Schlieffen Plan to advance quickly through the West. As Germany marched through neutral Belgium and into France, the French, British, and Belgian forces engaged in defensive actions and counterattacks. Smaller skirmishes and the first major battle of the war, the Battle of the Frontiers (Links to an external site.), built up toward the First Battle of the Marne in September of 1914. The battle was a decisive turning-point moment for both sides in the First World War and helped to change how wars would be fought in the 20th century.
In preparation for this discussion, make sure you read the following: the Module Notes, Chapter 1 (Links to an external site.), and Chapter 2 (Links to an external site.) in the Neiberg textbook and view Fighting to a Standstill in World War I (Links to an external site.) [Video, file 27:38 minutes] and Russians on the Eastern Front (Links to an external site.) [Video, file 27:38 minutes] .
Then, in an initial post of at least 250 words discuss the following:
· In your opinion, why did the Schlieffen Plan fail? Which contributing factor was most to blame, and how might the Germans have made it succeed?
· What role did new technology play in the Battle of the Marne?
· How did the war on the Western Front differ from the Eastern Front in 1914 and early 1915?
Your initial post must use evidence from the assigned readings, including at least two full citations in proper APA (Links to an external site.) or Chicago (Links to an external site.) style. Check your work and correct any spelling or grammatical errors. . (Turnitin.com) is built into the assignments for this course by the faculty to check the originality of writing to avoid plagiarism.