Choose and discuss (in a full paragraph or two) one of the following two topics related to the late 1800s and early 1900s.
- In the Progressive Era (roughly 1890–1920), multiple groups advocated for reforms in various aspects of government, society, and the economy. Discuss here the “muckrakers” and Taylor’s “scientific management”.
- Explain briefly the approach and aim of the “muckrakers” and that of F. W. Taylor.
- Compare their approaches and describe your feelings about them, and relate some modern situation that reminds you of one of these approaches and reform causes.
- Identify the source(s) where you read about the reform cause.
- From the text, Wilson did not maintain his own campaign slogan (“He kept us out of war”).
- Explain with some specifics why Wilson became pro-war. Describe your own feelings on that issue when you look back at it, and whether he was right to change.
- Briefly, identify a similar international consideration today—or of the last 20 years, and what lesson might be drawn from the example in Wilson’s time.
- Identify the source(s) where you read about Wilson.