PowerPoint Assignment – Choose four social media PROS and four social media CONS from the list below. Create a PowerPoint presentation that details your support for the four PROS and four CONS you have selected. Be sure to use outside sources to support your opinions. In the end, you will have a 10-slide PowerPoint presentation – a title slide with your name and class, four slides for the PROS and four slides for the CONS, and a references slide.
- Messaging on social media sites can lead to face-to-face interactions when plans are made via the sites.
- Social media increases voter participation and facilitates political change.
- Social media helps reduce loneliness of senior citizens who are socially isolated.
- Social media allows for quick diffusion of public health and safety information during crisis events.
- The U.S. military and the Department of Veterans Affairs use social media to help prevent suicide.
- Social media can help disarm social stigmas like anxiety or depression.
- Crowdsourcing on social media allows people to attain a goal, empowering users to achieve positive change.
- Social media provides academic research to a wider audience, allowing people access to previously inaccessible educational resources.
- Social media sites can help improve overall well-being by providing users with a large social group creating a “contagion” effect.
- Professional networking sites like LinkedIn greatly assist companies to find personnel and job seekers to find work.
- Social media posts cannot be entirely deleted.
- Social media can endanger our military, journalists and activists.
- Social media use is associated with personality and brain disorders.
- Students who are heavy social media users tend to have lower grades.
- Social media can exacerbate feelings of disconnect and put children at higher risk for anxiety, depression, low self-esteem, eating disorders and even suicide.
- Criminals can use social media to commit and promote crimes.
- Social media can be a drain on time and use up hours that you can’t get back.
- Advertising practices of social media sites may create an invasion of privacy.
- Social media facilitates sexting, which can lead to revenge porn, criminal charges and a proliferation of personal images.
Hatcher, J. (2017, December 6). 20 Pros and Cons of Social Media Use. Retrieved from https://www.success.com/20-pros-and-cons-of-social-media-use/
View your assignment rubric.