Your patient is a 52-year-old female who presents with a complaint of epigastric pain and burning for the past 6 months. The patient states that the burning and pain improves slightly if she takes “Tums” over the counter. The patient also states that she has taken over-the-counter famotidine, however, still continues with epigastric pain on a daily basis.
Her examination shows mild abdominal bloating. Her vital signs are a BP of 110/74, Pulse of 72, Respirations of 18 and Temperature of 98.2. As the provider you ordered an H. Pylori breath test which was positive.
- What medications would you prescribe to treat the H. Pylori and why did you choose this treatment plan?
- How long would have the patient remain on the treatment prescribed?
- What are the possible side effects of the medications prescribed?
- What education would you provide to the patient regarding both H. Pylori and the treatment plan?
- If the patients H. Pylori breath test had been negative, how would the treatment plan have been different, had the patient been diagnosed with GERD?