After several weeks of reading, discussing, and writing about a variety of issues related to cyber security I know that you have a better understanding of some of the things that constitute good security. And considering that so much of communication and interpersonal interaction in the business world is already digital and is becoming increasingly so, I thought that a more personal approach to delivering your research would serve you better overall. For many of you, this will be the first time that you’ve been asked to create a self-narrating presentation. This may at first seem at best daunting or at worst impossible. However, I contend that not only is it quite possible (I’ve done presentations this way myself) it will in fact be excellent training for the “real world” workplace in which you already are, or will become a part. For some of you, you may see this as an opportunity to pursue creating online tutorials or even creating a podcast. Ultimately, you will have fun doing this assignment while developing research skills, interpersonal skills – way more than just a research paper could do.
I am the Chief Information Security Officer of the organization for which you are working. You are one of my Cyber Security Managers. I need to know what companies are addressing some of the concerns we have regarding cyber security. I have tasked you with creating a self-narrated presentation that can be given to other members of our global security team for review.
I want you to choose a company that focuses on addressing one or more problems related to information security (I must approve the company you select via email). Be careful to not plagiarize material.
Your presentation should not exceed 10 minutes and must include the following topics (at a minimum) in your slides:
• Company Introduction.
• What information security problem does the company address?
• What information security products does the company have to solve the problem?
• Why is the information security problem that the company is focusing on important?
• Who is the customer for this information security solution?
• What other problems in information security can this company address?
• What competition does the company have?
• How does the company make money?
This is not a paper. It is an electronic presentation. It is also not (entirely) an opinion piece on security.
Rather, it is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your mastery of course concepts by discussing them intelligently (cite your sources!), in a multi-media format (visual and audio), as you deliver your presentation.
Items that can affect your grade
• Your submitted file must be a PowerPoint show (.ppsx file extension).
• Your show must have audio narration with your voice.
• It is recommended that you use a PowerPoint theme or template to enhance your presentation.
• Any media you include in your show must be embedded. See the sample project as an example.
• Your show must be self-starting and self-advancing, meaning that it requires NO action other
than opening the file. See the sample project as an example.
• Your show must be between 8 and 11 minutes.
• You must get approval of the company you select at least 3 weeks prior to the Project #1
Resources for Creating a Self-Narrated Presentation
Template and Theme Resources
Tutorials for creating a narrated, self-running PowerPoint
show are readily available on the internet, and I have
provided reference links below.
The presentation will be evaluated based on the (1) your ability to follow directions, (2) quality of the
content, (3) ease of comprehension, and (4) professionalism of the presentation. It should form a
complete package that is readily understandable by someone other than you.
Project #1 Grading Criteria Points
Company Approved by Prof? 10
Timing (At least 8min no more than 11min) 5
File submitted is a PowerPoint show (.ppsx) 20
Voice Audio w/ each slide 20
Sources cited? 5
Is the presentation presented in an organized way? 5
Overall quality of the presentation? Good sound quality? 10
Slides cover key topics 25
What information security problem does the company address?
What information security products does the company have to solve the problem?
Why is the information security problem that the company is focusing on important?
Who is the customer for this information security solution?
What other problems in information security can this company address?
What competition does the company have?
How does the company make money?