Assignment: The Practical Use of Strategic Planning
Consider the healthcare leaders and managers who have been profiled in the learning resources throughout this course. Would they all have the same vision for their organizations and plan for the same outcomes? Would the CEO of a hospital involve the same stakeholders in the same strategic planning process as the president of a foundation that funds services for families facing cancer, for example? The answer to these questions would likely be no.
In strategic planning, there is no “one-size-fits all.” Because every situation is different, healthcare leaders and managers must carefully weigh many different aspects of their organization—defining elements, goals, stakeholders, strategies for success, and roles.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Select two strategic plans from those listed below or find your own example from credible sources or your own experience. If you work in a healthcare setting, you might ask for a copy of the strategic plan from your organization.
By Day 7
Write a 2- to 3-page paper to compare and evaluate the two Strategic pPlans you select. Address the following:
- What are the key components of each Strategic Plan?
- Who are the stakeholders who might have been most involved?
- Compare the goals and strategies identified in each strategic plan.
- What barriers are there to successful implementation of the strategic planning, and how could a healthcare manager overcome these barriers?
- Put yourself in the role of a manager at one or both facilities. What are your responsibilities in ensuring one or both are successful?
Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Essential Guide to APA Style for Walden Students to ensure that your in-text citations and reference list are correct.