When a public policy is developed, it endures a cycle. The assignments in this course will examine the “cycle” of a public policy. The first assignment will analyze the rise of a public policy through a 4–5 page white paper in which you will select a peer-reviewed article and use that article to explain how researchers use theories to analyze the rise of a public policy and review that rise using theoretical concepts.
A white paper is a form of communication from an employee to a supervisor or administrator. It should be concise, informative, and able to explain complex issues in a succinct way. Writing a white paper requires high critical thinking skills and the ability to write in concise fashion, which are highly sought-after skills and can lend to more responsibilities in the field.
In your 4–5 page white paper, address the following:
· Explain how researchers use theories to analyze the rise of a public policy.
· Evaluate the way the scholarly article uses an ethical theoretical lens to explain the rise of the public policy.
· Review the rise of a public policy using theoretical concepts.
· Defend the choice of the political lens that is used when reviewing the rise of a public policy.
· Demonstrate an academic writing style through concise, well-organized prose that follows assignment guidelines and APA style.
Example assignment: You may use the assignment example, linked in the Resources, to give you an idea of what a Proficient or higher rating on the scoring guide would look like.
· Written communication: Your writing should clearly identify where each grading criteria or part of the assignment is addressed. Your points must be logical, substantive, and relevant based on the evidence presented. The writing must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
· APA guidelines: Resources and citations must be formatted according to current APA style and formatting. When appropriate, use APA-formatted headings.
· Resources: Your ideas must be supported with relevant recent, scholarly sources that are dated within the past five years and are properly cited and referenced in current APA style.
· Length of paper: 4–5 typed, double-spaced pages, not including the title page and references.
· Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
· Writing assistance is available through the Writing Center or Smarthinking, the free online writing tutorial and review service.