- Competency 1: Apply foundational theories in psychology to current issues in the field of psychology.
- Summarize the identified problem(s) in a selected scenario.
- Demonstrate how a proposed solution is based in theory.
- Competency 2: Describe scientific research methods presented in scholarly psychology literature.
- Describe the research methods outlined in scholarly research articles.
- Competency 3: Apply research findings from scholarly literature to current issues in the field of psychology.
- Apply findings from scholarly research to develop proposed solution(s) to the problem(s).
- Summarize psychology research findings that have been applied to solve a specific problem or to make a specific improvement.
- Competency 4: Examine how human thoughts and behaviors can impact mental health and well-being.
- Speculate how a proposed solution, based on theory and research, could impact mental health and well-being through behavior changes.
- Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for professionals in the field of psychology.
- Develop speaker’s notes to explain every slide, with references from scholarly sources to support positions.
- Write coherently to support a central idea with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics, as expected of a psychology professional.
- Use current APA format and style.
The resources provided here are optional and support the assessment. They provide helpful information about the topics. You may use other resources of your choice to prepare for this assessment; however, you will need to ensure that they are appropriate, credible, and valid. The PSYC-FP1000 Library Guide can help direct your research. The Supplemental Resources and Research Resources, both linked from the left navigation menu in your courseroom, provide additional resources to help support you.
Theory and Application
- American Psychological Association (APA). (n.d.). Research in action. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/research/action
- American Psychological Association (APA). (n.d.). Undoing dyslexia via video games. Retrieved fromhttp://www.apa.org/research/action/dyslexia.aspx
- Linke, S. E., Robinson, C. J., & Pekmezi, D. (2014). Applying psychological theories to promote healthy lifestyles. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, 8(1), 4–14.
- Coon, D., & Mitterer, J. O. (2016). Introduction to psychology: Gateways to mind and behavior (14th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth. Available from the bookstore.
- Chapter 1, “Psychology, Critical Thinking, and Science.” (Review from Assessment 1.)
- Chapter 18, “Applied Psychology.”