A network is a group of related components that interact with each other or share information to perform a function. For example, a light rail system that crosses multiple jurisdictions in a large metropolitan area would be considered a network.
A system is any combination of facilities, personnel, equipment, procedures, and communications integrated for a specific purpose. For example, the U.S. Interstate Highways comprise a system within the transportation sector.
A sector consists of a logical collection of interconnected assets, systems, or networks that provide a common function to society, the economy, or the government. For example, the transportation sector consists of vast, open, accessible, interconnected systems, which include the following:
- Freight rail
- Mass transit
Address the following in a 3–4-page paper:
- For each of the 16 Critical U.S. Infrastructure sectors and key resources (CIKR), do the following:
- Identify 1–2 local examples of critical infrastructure.
- Briefly describe the examples, and explain how they are operated and utilized.
- Provide any information that you feel is unique to each sector.
- In your local community, research the infrastructure, and identify one particular element that may be of particular interest to a terrorist or vulnerable to natural or man-made disaster.
- Are there any protective measures in place to ensure its safety? Describe such protective measures.
Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.
U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). (2018, August 22). Critical infrastructure sectors. Retrieved from https://www.dhs.gov/critical-infrastructure-sectors