Required Textbook Readings:
- Schultz, D.P., & Schultz, S.E. (2012). A History of Modern Psychology, (Ed. 10th).
- Chapter 12, Gestalt Psychology
- Chapter 13, Psychoanalysis: The Beginnings
- Chapter 14, Psychoanalysis: After the Founding
- Sigmund Freud: The Father of Psychoanalysis (Required: Watch the first 15 minutes and last 10 minutes. Optional: Watch the entire 60 minutes.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ySsLRwE3Lk
- Carl Jung: The Self, YouTube Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvxLvkdWf60
- Erik Erikson’s Theory of Development, YouTube Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0sxaU34MPE&list=PLA18717B9543AEFD1&index=8
Before the Assignment:
- Read Chapters 13 & 14 from your textbook.
- Watch the four assigned videos: Two Freud videos, Carl Jung, and Erik Erikson.
- Describe psychoanalysis from Chapter 13 (the beginnings) and Freud’s theory, focusing on only one or two of his concepts; do not go beyond this and discuss everything he put forth.
- Next, discuss discuss either Jung, or Erikson’s theory and one or two of their concepts
- Describe psychoanalysis from Chapter 14 (after the founding) and how this differed from Freud’s original psychoanalytical theory, choose one particular theorist to focus on and compare and contrast to Freud.)
- Briefly describe the Zeitgeist of the times in both psychoanalytical movements.
- Remember to keep your focus narrow when discussing the theorists, only discussing the most important points of their theories and/or concepts.
- In order to earn maximum points for this assignment, include an introductory paragraph (thesis statement and main points) and a concluding paragraph (summarization of the topics, along with a strong concluding statement).
- Assignment should be approximately 750 words (3 pages) long and follow APA formatting style
- Times New Roman Font, 1 inch margins, double-spaced.
- Must include citations in your paper from 4 sources, the two textbook Chapters 13 & 14. Also the YouTube videos from Freud, and either Jung or Erikson (depending on which theorist you discussed in your paper), and any additional sources used which are optional.
- Include both a title and reference page of your sources